Thursday, June 16, 2011

Statement Analysis: Anthony Weiner Resigns

    The following is statement analysis and commentary of the resignation announcement of Anthony Weiner (NY) in bold type. Italics and underlining added for emphasis. 


    About 20 years ago, I stood in this very same room here at the
    Council Center and asked my neighbors for their help, to take a chance
    on me in electing me to the City Council. Then, some seven years
    later, I asked those same people to join with people in Queens in
    sending me to Congress.



    Whenever the body posture enters a statement it is a signal of tension.  "Sit, sat, sitting, stood, standing..." etc should be noted for tension. 

    There is no higher honor in a democracy than being sent by your
    neighbors to represent them in the United States House of
    Representatives.



    He believes the highest honor is as an elected official, placing himself in the highest level of honor obtainable by a human.  This is a narcissistic response not unusual for someone who sent photos of himself to women and teenaged girls, including sexually explicit and inappropriate.  He holds himself, and his physical appearance, in high regard, and the office as the highest, which explains why he refused to resign under initial pressure. 




     It is particularly humbling to represent this
    district because the communities and families of the 9th Congressional
    District are hardworking, they're patriotic, they're opinionated, they
    are authentic.



    Note the contrast from highest honor to humbling has "particularly" added to it. 
    Note the order of the district's characteristics. 


    Note that the word "authentic" is in his vocabulary as the irony is struck. 
    I have never forgotten my neighbors because they represent the
    same middle-class story as mine. 



    Note sensitivity when something is entered in the negative; here, what is "never" forgotten.  He may be acutely sensitive to earlier parental teaching regarding decency and morals.  


    I went to public schools my whole life. My mother was a schoolteacher for 32 years. My father went to
    law school on the GI Bill. The middle-class story of New York is my
    story, and I'm very proud of that.



    Being from the middle class is a sensitive issue to Weiner, as he may also have been accused of forgetting his roots in this latest scandal.

    I'm here today to again apologize for the personal mistakes I
    have made and the embarrassment I have caused. I make this apology to
    my neighbors and my constituents, but I make it particularly to my
    wife Huma. 



    "my wife, Huma" shows possessive pronoun, and first name.  He does not want a divorce, in spite of naming her last


    I had hoped to be able to continue the work that the
    citizens of my district elected me to do -- to fight for the middle
    class a
    nd those struggling to make it.



    Anything repeated is sensitive.  The notion of middle class (his father was a lawyer and his mother was a teacher; he would be upper middle class; his wife works for Hillary Clinton, something not middle class...this may be part of the sensitivity.  He may feel pushed out of the "highest" honor and be resentful that he may not be rubbing shoulders with the higher class of people. 


     Unfortunately, the distraction
    that I have created has made that impossible. So today I am
    announcing my resignation from Congress, so my colleagues can get back to work, my
    neighbors can choose a new representative, and most importantly that
    my wife and I can continue to heal from the damage I have caused.

    Note:  he created the distraction.  Initially, he used "distraction" as a means to avoid responsibility for the sexual inappropriateness.  Note that "so" ('since, because, therefore, etc") indicates sensitivity as it gives the reason for something; but here, we have two sensitive notations close by.  First it is due to his own distraction but then he says that his sexual scandal is causing his colleagues to be unable to work.  This is another example of his narcissistic bloated self importance.  


    The United States Congress has not stopped working because of his behavior, though he believes so


    This self importance is something that his wife will have to decide if she can live with, especially since he will be forced back to the "middle class" which he appears so sensitive about.  This will likely be something very difficult for him to bear.  He is not an attorney and will have to get a job.

    To repeat, most importantly -- most importantly, so
    that I can continue to heal from the damage that I have caused. 



    What is most important to Weiner is Weiner, and if there is doubt, he repeats that which is sensitive to him:  himself. What is most important is that he, himself continue to heal.  This may be why he named his wife last. 


    I want to thank my colleagues in the House of Representatives,
    Democrats and Republicans alike. 



    Note order
    Note that they are former colleagues.  Weiner will likely have a difficult time accepting that he is no longer in the highest office of a democracy. 
    By naming Democrats first, and then "alike", this small, additional word gives us information.  He was resentful of his own party not supporting him.  


    They come from different places
    around the country, but fundamentally we all agree. They're all
    patriots, and I will miss them all.



    The "we" shows that he considers himself a part of them and he will struggle to be back at the level of "middle class" and expect finances to be a highly sensitive issue; especially if his wife leaves him. With breaking out of the middle class being so sensitive, money is needed to 'confirm' the 'highest honor' which he believes he deserves.  He thought he could lie his way out of this and thought he could "deny and divert" yet his own words, carefully chosen in his initial denial, were simple in their deception, and Statement Analysis caught them readily. 


    ....Thank you. I also want to express my gratitude to members of my staff. They're young people who are not paid very much.They're people that work very hard and very long hours. Ultimately, those people define the notion of service.



    Note that the lower paid staff are "young people"; the very age of the women he sought to prey upon.

    I want to thank, of course, the many people who have helped me --



    Note that "of course" is used when the subject wants us to accept something without question. 

    the people who have volunteered, the people who have given me advice,
    the many of my constituents who have offered me good ideas.



    Note order:   volunteers, advise givers, people who voted for him and gave good ideas; this shows that help, advice, and ideas are sensitive.  Does he look back and regret the advice he took to attempt to get away with things?  It is not known but taking advice is something heavily on his mind. 

    And of course, I want to express my gratitude to my family -- to
    my mother and father, who instilled in me the values that carried me
    this far; 



    Note "of course" again   
    Note that his mother is mentioned first;
    note that his "values" have "carried" him.  Note the irony since it is his values which have caused this resignation; this is a form of denial and minimization.  It may indicate that he is resentful of whoever advised him to come clean on this rather than stay with his own view of deny and divert. 


    to my brother Jason; and of course, to my wife Huma, who has
    stood with me through this entire difficult period and to whom I owe
    so very much.



    Note that his wife is mentioned last.  
    Note that "stood" shows tension. 
    Note that she "stood" through not only a difficult period but of an "entire" --this additional word is sensitive and may be in reference to how quickly his wife left on a plane with Hillary Clinton.  The notion of "entire" is sensitive to him and this may be why. 
    Note that he "owes" her.  We will probably learn, from the media in the upcoming months, what it is that he owes to her



    I got into politics to help give voice to the many who simply did
    not have one. Now I'll be looking for other ways to contribute my
    talents to make sure that we live up to that most New York and
    American of ideals, the idea that leaving a family, a community,
    and ultimately a country is the one thing that all unites us, the one thing
    we're all focused on. With God's help and with hard work, we will all be successful.



    Note the self importance found in the "we".   Here is a middle aged grown man seeking to prey upon women half his age and more, by using his elected position, to gratify himself and he is using the word "we" as if we are some how tied to him.  


    Why is he talking about what work "we" must do together?
    Answer:  Deny and Divert


    His own recipe is to "deny" and to "divert".  His denials were caught yet a form continues in his minimization, and here, he is diverting attention away from his sexually inappropriate behavior to superficial appeals to patriotism.  


    Rather than allow media to portray him as a small sleazy man sitting in his underwear, taking pictures of himself to send all over the country, his ego moves to flag waving.  This cannot bode well for his marriage and is anything but humble. 


    He is a disturbed individual who's view on life, particularly his own, is terribly skewered. 



    Thank you and good afternoon.







    Source URL: https://wallpaper-com.blogspot.com/2011/06/statement-analysis-anthony-weiner.html
    Visit wallpaper-com for Daily Updated Hairstyles Collection

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive